Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Baked Oatmeal

The other day, I realized I haven’t posted a recipe on here yet.
*Gasp* I know.

Now, I love following food blogs and looking at recipes to create plates of deliciousness. But I don’t often invent anything spectacular, just the usual chicken, pasta, vegetables and ooo-gobs of granola.
So when I do share a recipe, know that it is not of my own invention but something I saw, tried, thoroughly enjoyed and desire to pass on to you.

Sometimes, I will make tweaks depending on my personal tastes or if it calls for an egg and I’m fresh out, if that’s the case, I’ll mark it for you. J

Lately I’ve been on a rotting banana kick.
I    love   rotting   bananas!

Throw them in the freezer to stop the aging process (if only humans worked that way) and whip them out whenever you get a real hankering for banana pancakes or need them as an egg substitute.

But let’s talk oatmeal.

I was introduced to baked oatmeal last winter at Pine Brook Camp, and let me tell you, this ain’t your momma’s oatmeal!
I’ve tried a couple of recipes but haven’t found one that rocked my taste buds until I Googled “Baked Oatmeal, Banana, Healthy.”

www.skinnytaste.com and I are new best friends!

There’s the webpage link, and here’s the recipe. I did make a modification or two which I marked. Her pictures are far better than mine, but I assure you, your taste buds will throw a dance party with every bite!
Enjoy!

2 ripe bananas
1 ½ cup blueberries
¼ cup honey
1 cup oats
*¼ cup walnuts (almonds)
½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 cup of milk (ff)
*1 egg (chia egg)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 9 X 9 pan with cooking spray and place sliced bananas on the bottom. Sprinkle ½ of the blueberries and top that with a dash of cinnamon and 1tsp of the honey.
 
Cover and bake for 15 minutes to release the sugary goodness of the fruit.


Meanwhile in a bowl, combine Oats, 1/8 cup of nuts, Baking Powder, rest of the Cinnamon and salt.
In another bowl, whisk the milk, honey, egg and vanilla. Be determined with the honey, once it hits the milk it will become stiff, just keep stirring.

Remove the pan and pour the oat mixture over the top.
Pour the milk mixture over that, making sure all the oats get wet.

Then sprinkle with remaining blueberries and nuts. Bake for 30 minutes and voila!

Deliciousness on a plate.

This is a good dish on its own, or you can add milk or yogurt.

 *Nuts are nuts, use whatever you have in the house or appeals to you.

*Chia Egg – I follow a Vegan Blog and have been introduced to many unusual recipes/ingredients. But remember the Chia pets? Yes, the seeds are one in the same and come in bulk form! Adding 3 TBL of water to 1 TBL of the seeds will create a jelly substance that acts as a binder in place of the egg.









Bet you didn’t know you could eat THAT activity did ya? J

No comments: