Sunday, January 1, 2012

Christmas? Bah-Humbug!

Indeed, that is not how I feel about Christmas. But now that it’s over, I’m grateful it only comes once a year.
It was a great time spent with my family (thank you for asking) and we had plenty to laugh about. I think the best quote of Christmas Eve was six year old Aiden saying, “This is America’s favorite Dressing” as she brought the Ranch over to her salad plate. Seriously, where did she get that?

I took over “hosting” Christmas Eve last year. It’s taken my little family a few years to find our niche after the “displacement.” But I think we’ve finally found our groove.

You see, growing up, we always went to Auntie Michelle’s house for Christmas Eve. Part of the Polish tradition of Wigilia (pronounced Va-Lee-Ah) is to cram all your family members into one house, share a traditional Polish meal, open presents and dance to polka performed live by the accordion player in the corner. Different families have different variations but the idea is the same: gather your family together.

Things changed after our accordion player passed away. Even after 13 years, it’s like there’s a void the family doesn’t quite know how to fill.

Maybe for this reason, maybe because the family has gotten so big, or maybe because my Aunties are getting older, the decision was made 5 years ago to change the Klerowski’s Wagilia to a “Family Christmas Gathering” the week before Christmas.

That left this branch of the Klerowski family with another void to fill and me feeling a little bitter. After all, you can’t just change centuries of tradition . . . especially without consulting me . . . and most of all, what shall we do on Christmas Eve now???!!!

There had to be a family party - that much was certain. I couldn’t let my nieces miss out on something magical that I had growing up.

We went to my sister’s for a few years then moved the evening festivities to my house as I lacked a holiday to host. But I was still missing that something special.

That’s when I decided to take over the holiday completely (muahahaha) and hope to get some of my magic back. Now, I plan the dinner, I plan the dessert, I plan the “entertainment” and I dictate the dress code - no kidding, I made my brother-in-law wear a tie last year!

Since I can’t play the accordion, I do my darndest to create a new kind of memories for the girls. Last year we dressed up all fancy and did a lot of dancing; this year we painted ornaments.

And since family dinners are very important for me, I try to create a new theme every year to keep things fresh. Last year’s theme was 1950’s and we had a roast dinner; this year was Italian with homemade Manicotti; next year I would LOVE to do a “Who” theme (from the infamous Dr. Seuss book How the Grinch Stole Christmas) but I’m not quite sure how to pull that off - yet.

 After dinner, we tear into our presents, exchange “thank yous” and hugs, change into our jammies and watch “A Christmas Story” on TBS. I confess, I fell asleep on the floor right before Ralphie had to change into those bunny pajamas.

I wish there was someone to take our picture. Of all of us in our pajamas, presents all over the floor, Aiden playing musical seats as Aubrey, Mom and Kelly piled on the couch under blankets, Michael in the recliner and me wearing my new boots zonked out on the floor.
I woke up to Aiden stepping on my arm-pit saying a chipper, “Oops! Sorry Auntie!” as she carried her new puppy dog around the living room looking for her shoes and everyone else was gathering their presents to go home.

And there it was, the magic I’ve been looking for!

I was struck then by how tight we are as a family, how comfortable we are being ourselves and it’s no big deal if you step on someone because it’s a small house and it happens when you throw a group of clumsy girls (and 1 brother-in-law) together.

I guess like the Grinch and Ebenezer Scrooge, I had to learn a Christmas lesson.

I can’t go chasing old memories trying to recreate past magic for my present. They had their own time and place. What’s important now is making the most out of the time I have with my family. The magic doesn’t come from what you do or the traditions that are held.

It comes from the people you choose to spend your time with, that essence of Wigilia - that gathering of your family. . . and I think I’ve got a pretty good bunch!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kelsey, what a great blog! happy new year and may the new year bring you so many memories and love. hugs and thanks for the smiles loves from crystal and jack

Anonymous said...

sounds absolutely wonderful in the moment you shared with family, and reads just lovely in the retell as well kels. what a solid and kind soul you possess. happy new year. love ya, jimbo