Saturday, December 17, 2011

Soul Surfer

I love a good movie. Anything with Matt Damon or Harrison Ford will do.
Typically I prefer action over drama and need a good chick flick once
every six months.

Movies are a great way to escape your reality and watch someone else’s life go from normal to chaos then the happy ending will unfold in a few hours time. Usually films don’t touch my heart or relate to something I’m going through. Like I said, they are an escapism, not a motivational speaker. But last Sunday, I was moved by “Soul Surfer” – a film that retold the real life story of surfer Bethany Hamilton who lost her arm during a shark attack. 

She was only 13.

Most of the film was about the events that unfolded afterwards, particularly focusing on her attitude towards future surfing competitions and her desperate struggle/desire to understand how the attack was part of God’s plan for her life.   

It was her determination and the undercurrent theme of “keeping perspective” that really spoke to me.  Not only did she get back in the water (where I’m sure there are millions of sharks) but there was no question in her mind that she was going to surf again – one arm short or not.

She didn’t let anything stop her from doing what she love, she adapted.

Bethany learned to do push ups, chin ups, full sit-ups to a standing position, and learned to balance on a barrel/board thing. For a person with two arms, these can present a challenge, but she conquered it.

As a gym rat, I had the ultimate respect for her as I watched her adapt to a new lifestyle; and that’s when it hit me. I have ten fingers, ten toes, two arms and two legs, but I’ve been dealing with a bum knee for five months now, and it’s prevented me from running – something that I love. Despite the physical therapy and break from running, I'm now in a brace 24/7. Walking can be a challenge and my knee is starting to lock.

But I’ve had the wrong perspective.

Truth be told, I’ve been feeling sorry for myself when I go to the gym and see the other runners. I hear their breath match their pounding feet, see their pony tails (male and female) swish away  in the “wind” and see their arms gleam with proof of their effort.

And then there’s me – in a black brace – sometimes accompanied with a limp and using stretchy bands to walk sideways across the floor to strengthen my hips. It’s frustrating knowing that you used to put in 12-15 running miles a week and now you’re forced to go back to the basics and strengthen your joints.

Talk about going from hardcore athlete to pansy muscle worker.

I can’t set foot on a treadmill, I’m not allowed. I can’t even go for a jog outside or in the gym without my knee swelling, feeling squishy and numb afterwards. An odd way to describe it, but that’s how it feels. And the ache – oh the ache in the leg that runs all the way down the shin bone.

This pain happens when I don’t run, so I I can only imagine what would happen if I did. (My leg would probably jump off and find a new owner.) Regardless, this movie showed me that I was looking at my injury all wrong. I took a step back from my situation to gain a little
perspective.  This is what I discovered:

*Not being able to run showed me that there are other ways of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
*I’ve had to be creative with my workouts since my main cardio go-to was taken out of the equation.
*I’ve learned the importance of listening to and taking care of my body.
*I can’t let something like this prevent me from achieving that heart pounding , sweat producing, lungs exploding and endorphin high that comes from the spectacular workouts that I enjoy.
*Not being able to work my legs, I’m getting amazing biceps.
*Most importantly, a life lesson: Things will always pop up to get you down, what’s important is how you deal with it. Are you going to let it cripple you? Or motivate you to become a stronger and better person?

For a while I was crippled – Now I’m determined to become stronger.

No comments: