Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jog for 1, Walk for 2

I’ve been cleared for jogging.

Once a week.

And in between walking spurts.

If there is any pain, I am to stop.

A few days before I attempt to jog, I am to take my pain killers, getting them in my system to reduce any lingering inflammation.

I am to ice immediately after running - both knees - even if they feel fine.

Most importantly, I am to leave my ego at home, not go all out, and listen to my knees. And THAT was the doctor’s orders.

I sat on the examining table January 12th, once again being poked, prodded, pushed, stretched, pinched and pulled, answering, "Yes, that’s tender. No that doesn’t hurt," finally being able to pass the test without a single "Ouch! Don’t do that!"

6 months rest from running, 10 visits to physical therapist, countless of ibuprofen tablets and a knee brace later, I’m nodding my head vigorously agreeing to the "conditions" of my favorite cardio addiction like a kid promising to be good forever if only the babysitter won’t tell on her.

I probably would have pinkey promised if he asked me to.

And yet, I’m apprehensive.

Mostly I’m relieved that I’ve made great progress and am heading on the right track. But a part of me, a very big part of me, is scared. No delicate way of putting it - I’m scared silly - scared of my own leg!
How ridiculous.

Those days of my knee giving out mid-stride was not so long ago. I remember getting stuck on the couch because I couldn’t straighten my leg to stand up. And then the swelling - imaging trying to run in a bouncy house and that’s how it feels to run on a swollen knee.

Not exactly the safest feeling in the world.

Plus, you get used to the idea of being "injured." You get comfortable feeling limited. Not the best place in the world to be, but we’re all human and can grow complacent from time to time.

I did not want that to be me.

Sure, I could give up running. I’ve learned how to live without it for the last 6 months and had to consider my options in case surgery was necessary. But that’s not how I want to live my life. I’m tired of how we needlessly limit ourselves into believing we’re something less than we are.

So what am I really afraid of?
What if this doesn’t work and I end up back where I started?
What if my knee cap falls off?
What if I forget my self discipline and push myself too hard forcing my knee cap to fall off?

What if I stop worrying and start running? Well, jog for 1, walk for 2.

I got to this far in my posting and considered ending it . . . but that’s not the end of the story.

Of course I was going to test out my knee as soon as I could. Yes I had some fears, but the bottom line was I couldn’t wait!

I climbed on the treadmill and basked in the aura of its power. I looked over the buttons, the TV screen, the heart rate monitor and with a huge, goofy grin on my face, pressed "Quick Start."

I started walking at 3.6 mph for 3 minutes – no biggie, I’ve been walking the whole of my injury anyway, so what was another walk?
The moment of truth came when I hit the numbers "4" and "2."

The treadmill was set for 4.2 mph, and I was officially jogging! A little clumsily at first until I found my footing, and it was very embarrassing (for my ego) to run at a "measly" 4.2 mph. But I didn’t care. I pinky promised to follow the doctor’s orders and I didn’t work this hard to throw everything away on the first run.

I slowed to a walk after a few minutes, then started back up again. My knee did object with some twinging in the beginning, but I think it was from under usage and nerves, not from over-straining.

The second I felt uncomfortable, I reduced my speed until the pain went away, something I’ve never done before.
It took me 30 minutes to run 2 miles. In my prime, I was running 9.18 minute miles. I don’t really think having the best time matters, it’s the journey on the run. What you’ve seen, heard and learned while you were out there pounding the pavement . . . or in my case, the lesson of self-discipline while I was jogging for 1, walking for 2.

1 comment:

crystal said...

way to go kelsey!!!