Tuesday, November 8, 2011

'Tis the Season

The snow has fallen (a little too early for my taste), birthdays are over, the days are getting darker and there's a constant nip in the air. For most people, it's a sign that the season's about to change. For me, it's a reminder that my worst enemy has returned.

Winter
He follows me like a vulture scoping its next meal. I'm stalked everywhere I go, forever feeling his icy grip wrap its way into my bloodstream (or so it feels).

Oh how I love summer. All the sunshine, warm breezes, the great running potential in the neighborhood, and did I mention all the ice cream? Who could not love summer?
Contrary-wise, who could love winter?

The seasonal change never used to bother me, never really gave it much thought until I became an adult and suddenly the winters got colder and the snow stayed longer.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Holidays and I love certain aspects to winter: being cozy in my house while there's soup in the crock pot, wearing scarves and warm boots. I especially love that it's socially acceptable to trudge around in big bulky clothing because let's face it, hoodie sweatshirts are the most comfortable things ever!

But even they provide little comfort when it’s 90,000 degrees below zero.

As soon as the cold air scuttles around my ankles, I know he's back and I’m instantly angry.
Angry that summer is on vacation; that the sun is farther from the earth for the next 6 months; angry that I’ll be shoveling all the feet of snow due to come my way and angry that I’ll have my Seasonal Affectiveness Disorder to deal with.

S.A.D. is a seasonal mood disorder that affects normal, mentally-healthy people at the same time every year. My trigger happens to be Winter.

Last year, I learned that asking other people for help is not a bad thing. I just need to stretch out my hand and vocalize my needs. This year I did just that and before I knew it, Momma K. had me on a regime of St. John's Wort, (mood balancer), Vitamin D, (to help with my lack of sunshine), and a reminder to sit under my "sunshine" light (a special lamp designed to imitate sunlight).

FamilyDoctor.Org says, "Winter-onset SAD is more common in northern regions, where the winter season is typically longer and more harsh.”

I can only imagine what living in Alaska must be like . . . those are Winter's stomping grounds and his grip must be extra strong.

Ironically, changing the clocks back seemed to help. Usually I dread changing the time change, but this year it seems to be ok. Maybe it’s something about not waking up in the dark? I know this feeling won't last for long though.

I'll get through the Holidays just fine, but because of the sudden onset of Winter this year, I’m planning a visit with my doctor to see if there's any medications I can try.

I'm not a pill popper - I'd rather let my aches and pains work themselves out than take aspirin. But I don’t think I can make it through another New England Winter without some outside help.

I know I'm not alone here - so if you have some S.A.D. symptoms, please inform yourself about it. There's no shame and it's not just a "funk." Trust me, if you're in a funk for more than 1 week or even a month, there's a problem.

So you don't have any more excuses, I've posted a list of the symptoms and added a few of my own just to give you some perspective; it's your health and sanity, so please, be well.

*  Depression
*  Hopelessness
*  Anxiety
*  Loss of energy
*  Heavy, "leaden" feeling in the arms or legs (please don't confuse this with the natural exhaustion you feel after an awesome weight lifting session)
* Social withdrawal (you don't "have the energy" to go out with friends or on a date - don't kid yourself, it's emotional exhaustion from keeping yourself afloat.)
*   Oversleeping
*   Loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed (talking yourself out of the gym)
*   Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
*   Weight gain (I actually experience weight loss so keep a lookout)
*   Difficulty concentrating (some people call it multitasking . . . but are you accomplishing anything from start to finish?)
*   Feels like the ceiling is closing in on you - even if you're outside.

No comments: