Saturday, October 8, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today I’m 27 – and sticking with my birthday tradition, I started the day by opening my eyes, smiling and whispering to myself “Happy Birthday to Meeeee!”

I’ve been doing this every birthday for the last 20 years.

10/8/1984
On this day, 27 years ago, this little baby wasn’t supposed to make her grand appearance for another 5 days. But staying true with her personality, she couldn’t wait to start living and decided that 10/8/1984 was a good date to be born. My trusted source (mom) tells me that it was a pretty easy 10 hour labor (I’m not a very patient person) and even though she had a very small pregnant bump – I was a whopping 7 pounds, 6 ounces.

The question of my gender was debatable. My father, being the practical man that he was, saw my umbilical cord and assumed I was a boy. The doctor quickly corrected him and then I became Kelsey Michelle. Kelsey, because my dad liked the name and Michelle, after one of his sisters.

Kelly seemed happy to have a sister, even if we did share a birthday month and have similar names. Our sibling rivalry would start later . . . like when I was 6 months old. CLEARLY she was pinching me in this picture!


On my first birthday, it looks like I was getting used to the whole idea of holiday designated just for me. By age 2, I got the birthday spirit and never looked back.


First Birthday


What I remember most about birthdays is family dinner. We had to wait for Dad to come home from work for the party to start; but that only added to the anticipation. We’d get to chose what we wanted for birthday dinner and what kind of cake we wanted. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting is still my favorite . . . with sprinkles!


2nd Birthday

As I sit here navigating the memories of birthdays past, I can still hear their “Happy Birthday” song (Dad purposely singing off key), feel my red hot cheeks because I was embarrassed at being the center of attention (I grew out of that), and the distinct taste of vanilla and chocolaty goodness mixed with the after smell of sulphur and candle smoke.

It wasn’t anything elaborate. It was a day and one whole dinner for my family to focus on me, to reflect on how their lives changed when I made my debut, a day to feel special and cherished by simply being alive and myself.

Even though I’m 27, I still insist on a family dinner to celebrate. I can’t express how important these are to me.

I try not to ask for much as far as presents go. They are temporary and mean nothing. But I still like choosing my dinner and having my family around the table sharing stories and laughing over cake. Last night Kelly and I finally confessed that we would beat on each other with loaves of bread because we were distinctly told not to hit with our hands.

There’s no more smell of sulphur as we take our first bite of cake (when you get to be my age, you don’t need a visual reminder of your age) but they still sing “Happy Birthday” in their off tune fashion.

Even the state of Massachusetts wished me a Happy Birthday. I had to pay THEM a $50 present to have my licensed renewed. I tell ya, things were much simpler when all you had to worry about was learning to peddle your bike!


1 comment:

Ruth said...

Happy Birthday! Hahaha... I love that you and Kelly hit each other with loaves of bread. And look, you get along just fine now! (Right?) There's still hope for my kids!