Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What running has taught me about writing

When I started running I felt like a glorified speed walker. In fact, I believe I was speed walking for about a month until I finally got the courage to let my feet come a little higher off the ground. Then I started telling people, "I dabble with running" because truth be told, I couldn't last more than 3 minutes without my heart trying to climb out of my throat - but I wanted to learn. I wanted to be like those women I saw on TV who took their stress and "hit the pavement." I wanted to have a healthy hobby that made me look cool, tough, strong. I wanted to become something I've never been: an athlete.

It wasn't until I started saying, "I am a runner" that I really saw my feet come off the ground, my breathing fell in sync with my body, my heart stayed in my chest and I started racking up the miles.

When I took that ownership and practiced something I love (and occasionally hate), that’s when I saw improvements and experienced the payoff of all those months trying to get my body coordinated. I knew I made my dream status when my doctor said, "You have an athlete's heartbeat: slow and steady," I was in heaven.

In a way - writing is like running. I have a love/hate relationship with it, but I know I have to "own it" to see any improvements. I’m not looking to write a novel (yet) but skills die out when we don’t use them regularly and this (like running) is something I can’t let go of – hence the blog.

I keep asking myself why I - of all people - think it's a good idea to have my own blog? What could I possible have to say that would be of interest to other? Who am I in this vast world? Who will faithfully read anything I write? (Mom of course, but I think that's part of her job description). What if I run out of ideas? What if there’s a typo?

Here’s my heart again, trying to climb out of my throat . . . . And helping it along are a writer’s 2 best friends: negativity and self doubt.

I've found a pattern though. I met these 2 "friends" when I was teaching myself how to run. There were countless arguments along the road. Some I won, others I lost:
Friend: "You can't breathe!!!!  Just stop running and it'll get better."
Me: "No! How are my lungs going to adjust if I give up now?"
Friend: "What could you possibly have to say that will impress upon others?"
Me: "I don't know . . . but something; and I'm late for my weekly post so buzz off!"

Becoming a writer is like becoming a runner. It takes practice, commitment and an occasional Ipod. Not every run goes well and not every posting is going to go well. You won't read every posting all the way though and most of the time there will be typos.

But you learn along the journey just like anything else in life. Nobody gets up one day and runs a marathon. Nobody writes a best seller on their first go. It's the challenge that gets us addicted. So what is your “running?” What keeps calling your name? Something you’d like to give a go and see what happens? Go for it! You might be pleasantly surprised. J

2 comments:

cck said...

This actually inspired me Kels. Great job.

Kelsey Klerowski said...

awww - thanks mom. I knew you would read this :)